MAKOplasty® Total Hip Arthroplasty (THA), is a total hip replacement procedure supported by the RIO® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopaedic System. Essentially, the RIO® allows Dr. Desman more precise control when placing hip replacement implants than compared to the methods of yesterday.
During the procedure, the robotic arm guides the surgeon in preparing the hip anatomy and positioning the implants to fit exactly as they were intended. Traditional methods rely on the surgeon to “eyeball” the implant position. But with the robotic arm, surgeons are granted better viewing angles, a greater range of motion and increased control of implant replacement. In fact, surgeons say the single most important determinant of successful total hip replacement surgery is proper positioning of the implant, and proper positioning is virtually guaranteed with the MAKOplasty® robotic technique.
In addition to the benefits experienced by the surgeon, the procedure offers multiple benefits to patients as well, including:
- Faster recovery and return to an energetic, mobile lifestyle
- Extended implant life
- Quicker relief from discomfort
- Less scarring upon healing
- Shorter time spent completing physical therapy
- Reduced chance of implant dislocation
Not everyone in need of a hip replacement may qualify to be a MAKOplasty® candidate. Although there are some qualifications listed below, it’s important to remember that any decision on the type of joint replacement procedure you will undergo must be made by your doctor. Patients in need of a hip replacement often experience:
- Pain while standing or walking short distances
- Chronic hip pain lasting months
- Start-up pain or stiffness when initiating activities from a sitting position
- Stiffness in your hip after getting out of bed
- Poor quality of life due to physical limitations
To learn more about the MAKOplasty® procedure, call 772.288.2400 or click here to request your appointment now.